About Brooke's Book Blog

Well... Since I currently don't have a job, and in an effort to not become stupid, I have decided to read Newsweek's Top 100 books over the next three (maybe four) years. Thoughts and details to follow.


Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Mrs. Dalloway and The Second World War

I finished Volume One of the Second World War... it was actually really good, and I am looking forward to starting Volume Two. It is a little dense with all of the admiralty discussions (this ship went here, this ship went there, etc.), but overall it was interesting to see how England's desire for peace paved the way for Hitler to rise to power. It is also a little disappointing that I have read so much and I don't get to cross anything off for awhile.

I did finish Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Wolf. It was very good. Her writing style is a little hard to follow in the beginning because it tends to skip around a good deal, but since that is kind of how I think, it wasn't too bad to adjust to it. It chronicles the day in the life of Clarissa Dalloway as she plans a party for her high-society friends. It is interesting because it is set in the same time period as Volume One of the Second World War (the time immediately after World War I).

I have started The Divine Comedy by Dante, and so far it is very interesting. It is amazing how many topical references come from the book. It is slow reading, however, because the version I have includes footnotes which are very useful in understanding not only the story, but the meaning behind it.

No comments:

Post a Comment