About Brooke's Book Blog

Well... Since I currently don't have a job, and in an effort to not become stupid, I have decided to read Newsweek's Top 100 books over the next three (maybe four) years. Thoughts and details to follow.


Monday, March 21, 2011

Still reading...

I finished "Light in August" by Faulkner. It was such a good book. I liked it so much better than "The Sound and the Fury." It was a similar stream of consciousness style, but a less extreme form of it. I really enjoyed it. I also cheated and read this one without drawing it out of the hat. I was stuck in the house on an ice day and I already had it (I bought all the Faulkner books in a box set when I purchased "The Sound and the Fury").

I was somewhat interested in the subject matter of the "The Histories," but still thought it would be somewhat boring. And it was long. However, it turned out to be really interesting. It was written so differently than we record history now. It wasn't footnoted or really probably all that accurate. It is a compilation of legends and facts documenting the rise of the Persian empire and the Greek and Persian wars.

Finally... I finished "On the Road". It was good. It was an interesting snapshot of traveling across mid-century America as it was in the 40's and 50's. I am still not sure that I know what the "Beat" generation is, but lots of drugs. And jazz music. And crazies.

My next book is "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" by Ken Kasey. I am only a couple chapters in, but so far so good.

I am also reading Cutting For Stone for my book club. It is good, but really sad. It is about the life of a set of twins growing up in Ethiopia.

No comments:

Post a Comment