About Brooke's Book Blog

Well... Since I currently don't have a job, and in an effort to not become stupid, I have decided to read Newsweek's Top 100 books over the next three (maybe four) years. Thoughts and details to follow.


Monday, June 27, 2011

The Day of the Locust

I finished "The Day of the Locust" by Nathanael West. It is an odd story about the "glamor" of Hollywood during the Great Depression as seen from desperate characters on the fringe of the movie industry. I didn't really care for it, but it was well written and the characters, as unlikeable as they were, were definitely vivid. Not a favorite.

I am currently reading "Slaughterhouse-Five" which is another book set during World War II. From what I gather from the story, it is about a Chaplain's Assistant in the American army who is a self-professed time traveler and who is captured by the Germans and survives the bombing of Dresden. So far I really like it.

World War II Volume II is coming along... Still really enjoying it, but since Volume II is the beginning of the war and the fall of France, it is a little more militarily detailed, so a little harder to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment